History and Mission
The Department of Electrical Engineering (DEE/ DIE) University of Chile has its origins in the final years of the 50’s when the Faculty of Physical Science and Mathematics (FPSM/FCPM) was founded, together with ENDESA, the Institute of Investigation and Electrical Experimentation (IIEE). Started in 1957, this entity consisted of the High Tension Laboratory, the Electrotechnical Laboratory, and the Laboratory of Electronics and Telecommunications. Three years later the Computer and Automatic Control Laboratory was added.
In 1965 IIEE was transformed into the Departament of Electricity, and in 1981, it assumed its current name and structure.
The mission of our Department is the train of professionals in the traditional specialities of Communications, Energy, and Automation, as well as in the emerging areas of Electrical Engineering. At present, the training program offers specializations in Communications, Control, Electronics, Energy, Instrumentation, Intelligent Systems, and Information Technologies.
- Contribution to the planning for national electrification, in 1957.
- Installation, administration and operation of the first digital computer at the University of Chile, in 1962.
- Creation of the first Master is in Engineering Sciences program with a degree in Electrical Engineering with the help of the OEA, in 1969.
- Design and construction of the first bipolar transistor in Chile, in 1973.
- Organization of the first Chilean Conference in Electrical Engineering in 1974.
- Creation of the Chilean Association of Automatic Control (ACCA), in 1974.
- Realization of the first National Congress of the ACCA, in 1974.
- Design and construction of the first integrated circuit in Chile, in 1976.
- Design and construction of a solar powered automobile in 2007.
- Design, construction and start-up of the first intelligent microgrid with non-conventional Renewable Energy (ERNC), in 2010.